List of content you will read in this article:
SSH is an amazing technique that allows a user to connect to the remote computer which runs an SSH server. It is a multi-purpose protocol that provides secured system administration as well as file transfer. The full form of SSH is a Secure Shell Protocol used for the remote terminal connections, allowing a user to access the text-mode terminal on the remote system. You can also use it for the SCP file transfer, SSH tunneling, and so on. There are multiple types of SSH terminals for Linux, Windows, and macOS. This blog considers everything about the SSH terminal for Mac, Windows, and Linux. Let us read on!
SSH Terminal for Mac, Windows, and Linux
We will consider different SSH terminals available for Mac, Windows, and Linux:
There are multiple alternatives to Solar-PuTTY, but this SSH terminal is one of the best platforms for Windows. You can run Solar-PuTTY if you have Windows 7,8,8.1,10, 2012, 2016, etc. Besides that, it is important to have a .NET 4.6.1 version of Microsoft.NET to run it properly.
As we know, there is no built-in SSH command, but Solar-PuTTY works to fulfill every requirement of Windows in terms of SSH terminal. The download process is simple, and it is a free tool, so you don't have to worry about anything.
Features of Solar-PuTTY
Here is the list of features offered by Solar-PuTTY:
- Users can easily manage different sessions by a single console(tab interface).
- Users can save the credential to any session for easier logins.
- It allows automating the scripts you are using while establishing the connections.
- You can find the saved session easily because it has a Windows search integration.
- It doesn't require an installation procedure, so users can start working immediately.
KiTTY is based on the 0.74 version of PuTTY; it is one of the best SSH clients used by millions of users worldwide. As KiTTY is based on PuTTY, it is specifically developed for Windows. This SSH terminal provides the automatic password feature, which is beneficial for the automatic connection to the ssh-1, telnet, ssh-2 servers, etc.
KiTTY has all of the features of PuTTY but also has multiple features to fulfill the users' requirements. It has a good capacity to maintain the port knocking sequence. Users can easily integrate this SSH terminal into the Internet Explorer or different browsers such as Google Chrome Mozilla Firefox.
Features of KiTTY
Here is the list of features included in KiTTY:
- It provides multiple options such as Portability, Sessions filter, and Automatic password.
- There is a "send to the tray" feature for every session.
- KiTTY allows a user to run the locally saved scripts on the remote session.
- Users can easily start a duplicate session.
- Users can integrate KiTTY with WinSCP and pscp.exe.
MobaXterm is one of the best tools that provides multiple features for remote computing. It offers multiple functions tailored for web admins, programmers, IT administrators, and those who need to manage their remote work easily.
The home edition of MobaXterm is free, but if you want a more premium version, you can go for the professional edition that costs $69 per user. It is a portable application that you can use from a USB stick. Besides that, you will get the remote network tools such as SSH, X11, RDP in the single portable .exe file. MobaXterm also has a text editor that provides more portability and convenience.
Features of MobaXterm
We have listed the top features offered by MobaXterm:
- It offers an embedded X11-forwarding, X server, and a tabbed terminal with the SSH.
- There is a UNIX command feature that means users can use the UNIX commands to Windows.
- Users can extend the platform by plugins.
- There is a network security option for graphical applications and file transfers by encryption using the secure SSH connection.
OpenSSH (macOS, Windows, Linux)
OpenSSH is one of the best SSH terminals for Windows, macOS, and Linux. It is a great tool for remote login with SSH protocols, and this tool is suitable for techno-geeks. OpenSSH works to encrypt the traffic (which includes passwords) for efficiently eliminating connection hijacking, eavesdropping, and other dangerous attacks. Besides that, OpenSSH offers a secured tunneling capability and some authentication procedures. It also supports all of the SSH protocol versions. This tool offers a huge suite of various sophisticated configuration options. The installation and setting up procedure is also simple, which means anyone can use it in their system.
Features of OpenSSH
Here is the list of top features offered by OpenSSH:
- OpenSSH has secure remote logins.
- It has secured file transfer.
- It has a secured remote command execution.
- It has a great access control feature.
- There is a port forwarding option.
Hyper (macOS, Windows, Linux)
Hyper is a great SSH terminal that offers cross-platform support and is built on open web standards. This tool gives a comprehensive command-line experience that offers consistent benefits to various, including Windows, macOS, and Linux distros like Debian Fedora. According to their website, the goal of the Hyper is to create an amazing experience for the command-line users. Primarily, Hyper focused on the speed, great experience, stability, and appropriate API development for the extension authors.
Features of Hyper
Here is the list of features in Hyper:
- It offers compatibility for Microsoft Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.
- Users can use the SSH protocol for secure log-in to the server or other computer over TCP/IP networks.
- There is improved compatibility of Zmodem for the users of serial ports and dial-up modems.
- Some features allow a user to check for updates in the HyperTerminal Private edition.
- It has a 30 days free trial, and other qualities have improved in the latest version.
Termius is not only an SSH client as it offers a complete command-line solution that redefines the meaning of remote access for the network engineers and sysadmins. This SSH terminal offers the facility to securely access Linux or any other IoT devices so that users can quickly fix the issues through phone or laptop.
Termius gives different features to organize hosts in the groups, and these groups allow a user to share the settings, but every host has its particular preference. In this SSH terminal, data, connection, and command history are securely synced through every device. Termius also uses end-to-end encryption to ensure that the user’s data remains secure.
Features of Termius
Here is the list of features of offered Termius:
- It offers the feature to sync the data easily.
- There are multiple plans to fulfill different requirements.
- There are SSH and port forwarding options.
- It has multi-platform support that means you can run it on macOS, Windows, Linux, and different devices such as mobile and laptop.
That wraps the complete information on the different SSH terminals available for macOS, Windows, and Linux distros. SSH offers a remote connection that teams and one or more users can work on the same server. Different SSH terminals exist to fulfill the requirements of different users with Windows, macOS, and Linux. The above list is based on the popularity and the user reviews; you can choose these according to your requirements. Which one do you prefer and why? If something that you use is not on the list, let us know in the comments.