An In-depth Guide on How to Check Node.js Version
Introduction to Node.js
It has been significantly less time than this software has managed to attract large enterprises. Some of the major companies that are relying on Node.js are Groupon, Netflix, IBM, Voxer, SAP, etc.
Benefits of Node.js
Below are various benefits offered by Node.js:
Robust Technology Stack
- It offers better efficiency for improving the developer’s productivity.
- You can share and reuse the code.
- It helps in enhancing the speed and performance of your project development.
- It allows you to collaborate with your team efficiently for better productivity.
- It provides you with a wide range of free tools.
- It makes your team more flexible and requires less time in development.
- It helps the developers to start server-side programming with minimum effort.
Perfect for Microservices
Node.js is a lightweight tool, making it suitable for microservices architecture. It allows you to break application logic into smaller modules rather than building a single and large monolithic core. It ensures better flexibility and scalability for the development process. It also helps you add more microservices to the existing ones rather than add more features using the basic application functionality.
We can consider how Node.js is helping the GoDaddy web hosting platform enhance its performance over the competitors. It allows GoDaddy to handle thousands of requests per second without creating any downtime with only 10 percent of the hardware, and it is possible due to Node.js.
Due to its rich ecosystem, there is considerable potential for the growth of Node.js as technology and helps in creating new solutions without investing in the development process.
Strong Corporate Support
After Joyent supported the development of Node.js, it led to the creation of the Node.js foundation in 2015. It helps in adopting and accelerating Node.js development. Many major companies like IBM, PayPal, SAP, etc., have become the organization’s founding members. With time, many companies are adopting Node.js. Also, there are very few open-source projects that have strong corporate support.
Drawbacks of Node.js
When using Node.js, you may face some drawbacks like the inability to process the CPU-bound tasks efficiently. For understanding the root cause of the problem, you need to have a bit of context about the situation.
If we consider Node.js, the main problem occurs when it receives a CPU-bound task. Once it gets a heavy task, it will set all the CPU available for processing it first and later answer the other queued request. It will result in slow processing and delay in the event loop process, making Node.js unsuitable for handling heavy computation.
However, Node.js consists of stable and mature modules, but there are numerous tools available in the npm registry that are of poor quality and are stored without being tested. It does not have a structured registry for offering the tools that are based on their rating and quality. It makes a challenging situation for finding the best solution for your purposes without understanding the need for it.
Node.js ecosystem is open-source, and the quality is being supervised by Joyent. Still, there might be a possibility that the remaining tools lack quality standards set by the global organization.
Checking Node.js Versions
Node.js is a cross-platform software that can be installed on various platforms. Over time, Node.js has multiple versions with advanced tools and technology. You can install and check the versions for Linux, macOS, and Windows.
Below, we will show you how you can install Node.js on Linux, Windows, and macOS, along with checking the installed version.
Installing and Checking Node.js Version on Linux
We are considering Ubuntu as a Linux distros here. You can easily find the Node.js within Ubuntu’s repository and use commands for installing. Follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Press ctrl+alt+t for opening the terminal on your system and run this command to install Node.js.
sudo apt install nodejs
- After installing the Node.js, check the installed version with the help of the following command.
node -v or node –version
- It is strictly recommended that you install the Node package manager with Node.js. Npm offers you the open-source library of the Node.js packages. For installing NPM, use these commands.
sudo apt install npm
npm -v or npm –version
Installing and Checking Node.js Version on Windows
To install Node.js on your Windows system, you need administrative rights on your user account and command line. Follow the below-mentioned steps if you want to install and check Node.js’ version of Node.js in Windows.
- Navigate to the official download site of Node.js and select the Windows installer button. It will start the download for the latest version by default. The NPM installer comes with an NPM package manager.
- After the completion of the download process, launch the installer. Open the directory where you store your download files.
- You will be asked if you want to run the software to confirm and click Run.
- You will be entered in the Node.js setup wizard and click on Next.
- You will be asked to accept the license, click Next after agreeing on the terms and conditions, and start installing the software.
- You will be asked for the software’s location, and you can leave the default location or fill with the required path and click Next.
- Next, select the components you want to include and do not wish to include accordingly and click Next.
- At last, you can click on the Install option to run the installer and click on Finish.
Run the following command on the command prompt, and you can verify the version of the installed Node.js.
Installing and Checking Node.js Version on macOS
You can go through the following steps for installing Node.js on macOS.
- Go to the official download page for Node.js and select macOS.
- Start running the download Node.js .pkg installer.
- Once the download process is complete, you can start running the installer, accepting all the details, and click install to finish the procedure.
- Once the installation process completes, you can check the version installed of Node.js.
Run the following command to check the version of Node.js.
$ node -v
Node.js has been widely popular due to its various benefits for creating web-based and interactive websites. However, it has multiple versions, and you can choose any but mostly preferred to use the latest version for experiencing better tools and functionality. You can go through the above article to know how you can install and check the installed version of Node.js. You can install Node.js on any platform quickly and seamlessly, following easy and straightforward steps. If you wish to know how to update Node.js, check out our detailed blog on how to do it.