A Brief Tutorial on How to Go to A Line in Nano Editor
While working with huge text with many lines, you need to jump on a certain line to get certain information you want. This guide will help you perform a jump operation and go to a particular line in the nano text editor. Using these approaches can save you time from suffering through the entire text and waste your time finding the line you need.
How to Jump to a Line in a Nano Editor?
When you don't have the file open in front of you, this approach comes in handy. However, as soon as you open the file with the nano editor, you can use the second method to accomplish your task.
- Type the following command in your terminal to accomplish to open the file in nano editor:
sudo nano +LineNumber xyz.txt
- LineNumber can be replaced with the line number where you choose to jump. The nano editor will open with the specified file, and the cursor would be referring to the section you mentioned once you run the function above.
- When the user has already opened the file with the nano editor, you can use this method to go to any line you want.
- Now, click the Ctrl, Shift, and – key combination. You'll find that the nano editor prompts you to insert a line number you want to leap after clicking it.
- After that, click the Enter key after entering the appropriate line number.
- Once you press the enter key on the keyboard, the cursor will start the section you have mentioned.
You can switch to any line in a file when using the nano editor with these two methods. These methods are particularly useful if dealing with large files where manually traversing from one line to the next is difficult. Using each of these approaches, you can easily assign the desired line number, and you will be taken directly to the desired line.