List of content you will read in this article:
In this article, we will go through the steps to check Python version on Windows, Mac and Linux OS. Python is a household term for most programmers and developers, and it is a powerful general-purpose programming language. The TIOBE index, whose role is measuring the popularity of various programming languages, ranks it as the third most used programming language worldwide, only behind Java and C.
Python is used for different purposes, including data science, web development, the creation of software prototypes, etc. This programming language is object-oriented and easier for people to understand. Because of this easy-to-use syntax, it is ideal for those undertaking rapid developments and for beginners.
What is Python?
Python is a programming language that was created in the late 1980s. It was designed to be a high-level language that would be easy to read and write. Python is considered to be an interpreted language, meaning that it can be run without the need for a compiler. Python is also considered to be a dynamically typed language, meaning that variables can be created and used without declaring their data type.
Why is Python popular?
There are several reasons why Python ranks highly in the programming languages popularity index:
- Easy to use: Python can be an excellent initial step for those new to programming and coding. Since it is easy to learn and use, it is a great way to build up your coding knowledge.
- Has a simple syntax: It is pretty easy to read and understand since its syntax is quite like English.
- A straightforward layout means that programmers and developers can easily deduce what each line of the code does.
- Versatility: Python has many uses. You'll thus find a use for it whether your interest is in web development, AI, or data visualization.
- It is a thriving community: Since Python is an open-source language, anyone can use it for coding. Moreover, there is a community for supporting and developing this ecosystem, so new contributions and libraries are constantly being added.
How to check the Python version
1. Check python version Windows
Use your PC's inbuilt PowerShell utility to check the version number of the PC you have just installed.
- To start the process, access your Start menu, look for Windows PowerShell then click on it once it pops up in your search results.
- Click on Windows PowerShell.
- Once it opens, type in the command below, then press Enter:
- Open the programming language version in PowerShell.
- The version of Python that you've just installed will be displayed.
2. Check python version Mac
You'll use the Terminal app pre-installed on your Mac to view the Python version.
- To launch Terminal, open Spotlight using the Command+Space shortcut, then search for Terminal and click on it.
- Once on Terminal, type in the command below, then press Enter:
- Your current Python version will appear on the screen
3. Check python version Linux
- To check the Python version on your Linux OS, open a Terminal Window. You can do so easily using a shortcut, Ctrl+Alt+T.
- Next, type in the command below, then press Enter:
- The Terminal will display the installed Python Version.
4. Using pip to check Python Version
Python is a versatile language that can be used for many different purposes. In order to check which version of Python you have installed on your system, you can use the pip tool.
First, open a terminal window and type the following command:
This will display the version of pip that is installed on your system. If you see a message such as "pip: command not found", then you need to install pip. You can do this by following the instructions on the official Python website.
Once you have pip installed, you can use it to check the version of Python that is installed on your system. To do this, type the following command:
This will display a list of all the software packages that are installed on your system. Look for an entry that says "python" and check the version number next to it. This is the version of Python that is installed on your system.
What to do if you have multiple Python versions
Some people have multiple Python versions installed on their PCs simultaneously. Usually, the reason is some apps rely on the newer Python 3 version, while others still use Python 2.7 to operate. If you are in this situation, simply use the commands below to find the different versions of Python.
Checking Python 2.7 version
Enter the following command:
Checking Python 3 version
Enter the following command:
What is the latest version on python?
Python is a programming language that is constantly being updated with new features. As of 2021-10-04, the latest version of Python is 3.10.
Applications of Python
It is not news that Python is an in-demand and popular skill to learn. However, you might be curious about where to apply it. The introduction already touched on some of these areas, but here is a look at the uses of Python.
1. Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning
Because of its stability, flexibility, and simplicity as a programming language, it is one of the favourite languages among data scientists. There are also numerous Artificial intelligence and machine learning packages and libraries available.
2. Data visualization
Data visualization is another developing and popular area of interest in programming. Like the other applications, it takes advantage of Python's various strengths. Apart from being open-source and flexible, it also offers many different graphing libraries with several features.
Whether you intend to create an interactive plot or a simpler graphical representation, there's a library to cover your needs. Some good examples are Plotly and Pandas Visualization. Python offers vast possibilities, enabling you to change data into meaningful insight.
3. Web development
Python is an excellent language for web development primarily because there are numerous Python frameworks, including Pyramid, Flask, and Django. These web development frameworks have been used for creating services and sites like Mozilla, Spotify, and Reddit.
Because Python's frameworks offer extensive modules and libraries, functions like content management, data authorization, and database access are possible and easy to access. As a result of this versatility, it is understandable why it is preferred for web development.
4. Data analytics
Data analytics is another fast-developing field that uses Python, just like a machine and AI learning. When more data is being created, there is an ever-increasing need for collecting, manipulating, and organizing information. In this respect, using Python for data analytics and data science makes sense.
The language is flexible, well-supported, and easy to learn, so it is fast and easy to use for data analysis. When working with massive volumes of data, Python helps to manipulate data and undertake repetitive tasks.
Python is increasingly being applied in finance. Usually, its application is in areas like the qualitative and quantitative analysis. It can also be a helpful utility in automating workflows across various data sources and determining asset price predictions and trends.
As mentioned in the previous point, Python is great when working with massive sets of information, and it has many libraries to help compile and process data. Because of this, it is currently among the most preferred programming languages in finance.
We hope this article helped check Python version on Windows, Mac and Linux. Python is becoming more popular daily, and more programmers are turning to it to perform tasks. Beginners are also gravitating toward it because of its layout. Besides the mentioned applications, Python is also used for programming, language, and game development. If you are undertaking a project that falls in one of these categories, give it a try.
People also read: