List of content you will read in this article:
When surfing the world wide web, we tend to type in the website’s domain into the address bar without thinking of the background processes. As you may already know, to connect to the server a website is hosted on, you must enter its IP address. So how do we connect to the site by just entering its name? Best DNS servers (Domain Name Servers) help us with doing it. They match the text we enter into the address bar to the server’s IP address.
When connecting to the internet, your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will automatically assign you DNS servers. However, it does not mean that the ones assigned to you are the best DNS to use. At times, switching to a different DNS might significantly improve your browsing experience. It could also do the opposite if you choose the wrong one. Slow DNS servers can cause lag before a website even starts to load.
A lousy DNS with inappropriate uptime can create issues while accessing any website, so it is good to use the best & fastest DNS server. If you want to know the best DNS servers for 2022, then read our post to get complete details as we have created a full list of these fastest DNS servers.
What is DNS Server?
The full form of DNS is Domain Name Server, which works as the internet's phonebook or is designed for translating a domain name into the IP address to help browsers load internet resources. As a process, when a user types any domain name like "XYZ.com" in the browser, then DNS works to find appropriate IP addresses for that specific website, then the browser uses the address for communicating with an origin server to access the website's information. All devices have a unique IP that enables them to connect with different machines.
Benefits of DNS
Before discussing the best DNS server, let's have a little information about the benefits of DNS.
- DNS server provides an excellent internet dependency by saving all of the IP addresses you are using on the system.
- By eliminating suspicious activities, DNS improves the internet speed for better surfing.
- DNS blocks phishing and malicious attacks to provide top-notch security.
- DNS offers more stability due to the appropriate privacy features.
Best & Fastest DNS Servers
So here is the list of best DNS servers available online that offer impressive services with both paid and free versions.
Although Cloudflare is best known for the CDNs (Content Delivery Networks) they provide, they also offer a new public DNS service named 18.104.22.168. It might not provide fancy add-ons others do, such as anti-phishing, content filtering, or ad-blocking. Instead, pure performance is their primary focus.
Independent testing shows that 22.214.171.124 is the fastest public DNS server available at the moment. Along with speed, they promise privacy. According to Cloudflare, it will never write querying IP addresses to disk, and any logs that do get created will be deleted within 24 hours.
- It is free to use the tool.
- Faster than other DNS servers.
- It never reads the browsing data.
- Reported dashboards are not good enough.
- Inappropriate support system for free users.
2. Google Public DNS
Anyone reading this article knows Google. The web giant enjoys having a role in any web-related services, and it does not exclude DNS servers. Although they do not provide the highest speeds or the most privacy, we have observed that Google’s Public DNS provides overall good service quality.
It logs the full IP address info of the querying device for 48 hours, and any permanent logs are rid of personally identifiable information. You can use all these DNS servers in VPS servers and dedicated servers too.
- It is free to use.
- It can improve speed.
- It can protect the system from DDoS and phishing.
- It logs the user’s browsing history.
Owned by Cisco, after being in the market for nearly 15 years, OpenDNS is one of the biggest and most recognizable names in public DNS. OpenDNS is well-known for its high speeds and 100% uptime. However, they also offer automatic anti-phishing and filtering sites to block by content type.
Most importantly, it is designed to withstand failure because it has a self-healing technology that prevents the system from disrupting customers.
- The free version is best for personal use
- Free for personal use
- Brings speed enhancements
- Protects against phishing attacks, malware attacks, and cloned websites
- Logs the DNS traffic that it receives
4. Comodo Secure DNS
Comodo Secure DNS always ensures user security through the malware domain filtering option. They claim that their services are smarter in detecting attempts for visiting parked domains then automatically forward the information to you.
As we all know, malware attacks have increased, so having adequate security assures that we can easily browse websites without any issues. Comodo is always a great choice when a user wants an extra layer of web filtration and fantastic support to set up the service on Windows, routers, Macs, and Chromebooks.
- It is free for the personal use
- It provides service in 5 continents
- It protects the system from malware, spyware, and phishing attacks.
- Not compatible enough for specific devices.
- It has performance-related issues.
DNS.Watch is an excellent third-party DNS server that offers a mapping feature for the domain name to the IP address for the device connected to your internet as it is essential for the internet. This DNS server is free, and it doesn't need any installations.
Other DNS servers are also beneficial in opening geo-restricted content but DNS.Watch also believes in the user's privacy. Therefore, it doesn't log any DNS queries sent by the devices.
- It is free to use
- It has DNS Neutrality
- It doesn’t log the queries
- It doesn’t share or sell the data
- It doesn’t protect the system from websites and attacks
6. Quad9 DNS
Quad9 DNS is a free DNS server that emphasizes performance, privacy, and security. Users have to configure this DNS server, and it will route the DNS queries by the secured network of servers worldwide.
The system of Quad9 DNS uses threat intelligence from different industry-leading cybersecurity companies for providing a real-time perspective on the website threat analysis. Quad9 DNS blocks phishing, malicious domains, and malware by handling anonymity.
- It is free for personal use
- It provides protection from privacy attacks
- It Keeps the real-time perspective on your website threat analysis
- It becomes slower according to the conditions.
CleanBrowsing is the best DNS server for parents to protect their kids for a safe and private experience.
This DNS allows a user to block the adult content on the internet to increase the protection from phishing and malicious attacks. CleanBrowsing comes under three tiers such as security, family, and adult.
- It has a free tier option.
- It has three different filtering features: security, family, and adult
- It blocks all malicious websites and any adult content.
- It supports the IPv6 protocol.
- You can’t customize the filtering in a free plan.
8. Yandex DNS
Yandex DNS works well if you need an alternative to the above-described DNS for the system. This DNS offers fantastic, reliable performance, including protection and speed, without lowering the requirement.
It has a remarkable feature of content filtering that allows you to prohibit offensive content. Hence, it assures smoothness and security while browsing on the internet.
- It is the fastest server.
- It can block the malware easily
- It can do content filtering.
- Knowledge required for setting up Yandex DNS.
UncensoredDNS promises to maintain the safety of the user with their free services. This organization is based in Denmark, and you can rely on it for surfing on the internet without stressing about common attacks.
One of the significant features of Uncensored DNS only uses the data for capacity planning. Apart from privacy, its server also works to make the work more smooth and easy.
- Users can easily set-up UncensoredDNS
- Security is improved
- Server speed is not appropriate.
10. Alternate DNS
Alternate DNS is a new DNS server, but it made the position in the list because of its fantastic speed, and users can count on reliability. It also offers multiple features to block ads, suspicious websites, adult content, and trackers. This DNS server is compatible with IPv4 and IPv6 protocols, so you can go for IPv6 for high speed.
- It is free to use
- Users can block ads and adult content
- It is a fast DNS server.
- It is appropriate for a secondary DNS resolver.
The details of the best DNS servers provide fantastic security and privacy without compromising stability. As we have mentioned earlier, the word DNS stands for Domain Name Server, so it works to handle web surfing by offering adequate security and privacy.
As you know from this article using the best DNS server is very important, so also we have an option that you can buy a domain and use the best DNS server and get 24/7 support from the MonoVM team.
The list we have created is based on the advantages and disadvantages of the customer reviews, so this article has one of the most accurate information you will find on the internet.
People are also reading: