List of content you will read in this article:
If you are planning to make your own website for a business or any venture, you have landed on the right page. Many people who belong to a non-technical background may find it a complicated task, but we assure you that it’s not.
In this article, you are going to learn about different methods to create your own website in a step-by-step fashion. Let’s begin!
Before we dive into the core topic, take a look at the pointers that we will cover:
- To select a website platform.
- Domain Name and Hosting Provider.
- Customize your website.
Now, let’s start understanding each step in a detailed manner.
To select a website platform
A lot of people assume that building a website requires a good knowledge about coding, hence it can only be done by a tech professional. Well, gone are those times when it was a complicated task. At present, there are a lot of convenient and accessible options for you to build your own website.
A very popular example of CMS or Content Management Systems is WordPress. WordPress has made millions of projects easier. It is extremely user-friendly and easily accessible.
WordPress comes with ample features that make life much easier for you. Here are some of them. Take a look:
- Cost-free: The most attractive feature of WordPress is that it comes without any cost. You can download and install it without paying any fees. Interesting, right?
- User friendly: There is no complicated user interface when you use WordPress. Everything is available in front of you
- Customizable: you can make your website customizable very easily by using several plug-ins available. There are various templates that beautify your user interface. With the help of plug-ins, you can add images, contact forms, subscription forms, and as many tabs as you want for your website
- Very responsive: if you make the website on WordPress you can be assured of the fact that it would look great on every device. For instance, smartphones, tablets, or mobile.
Apart from WordPress, there are a lot of other viable options too. Here is a list:
- Drupal: Filled with a team of professionals and web developers, it is known as one of the most powerful platforms to build a website
- Joomla: This platform requires a minimal understanding of basic coding. It is a great tool for you to get going with your project if you have some technical knowledge
- Wix: Wix is an easy-to-use platform to build your website with simple functions like a drag-and-drop interface. But, it is not free of cost and is also not recommended for websites of big business giants
- Squarespace: Another beautiful tool to make a beautiful and creative website for your venture. There are a few drawbacks though, it comes with a high monthly cost and there is no provision to migrate the website.
Therefore, after contemplating all the options and features in your sight, take a wise decision!
After you successfully decide the platform to build the website on, the next step is to find a domain name and hosting provider.
Let us understand the procedure in detail!
How to find a domain name and hosting provider?
Domain Name and Hosting Provider
To start your own website, you need two essential things:
- Domain Name
- Hosting Provider for your website
Here is a brief of both these terms.
Domain Name: Domain name is simply the web address of your website. For instance, www.google.com.
Hosting: consider the internet as a large space and your website as a small plot in that space. To buy and use that space, you have to connect your site with the internet through a service. The host provides you with that service.
Now, moving on!
As you must know, both these services are not cost-free. You have to pay for them monthly or annually according to the subscription plan.
Besides, make sure that you choose a reliable and trustworthy hosting provider, as there are instances where the site may crash or go down. In such cases, it is important to redeem the website as quickly as possible.
Your hosting provider provides you with this support. So be careful when you choose!
Now, the question is where do you get a domain name and hosting?
Well, to ease down your worries, we are here with an overview to help you make an appropriate selection.
Firstly, take a look at some of the best available options in the market:
- Network Solutions
Explore the above-mentioned options according to your requirements.
Now, let’s move on to the next segment where we discuss the points that you must remember while picking up a domain name.
Here we go:
- If you are creating a website for your venture/business, then you can keep the name of your business as the name of your domain. It gives an extremely reliable vibe to the customer.
- If the website is for your personal use, then keeping your name as the domain name proves to be a great choice.
Additionally, do keep a check whether your domain name is catchy, brandable, or memorable. As it is important for your customers or visitors to remember the name.
Once you finalize your domain name, the next task is to obtain hosting for your website. The platform that provides the domain name also provides hosting. So your work here becomes easy.
Check the subscription plan for both things and move on accordingly.
Congratulations! Your domain name, as well as hosting, is ready to use.
The next step is to build your website on an appropriate platform.
As we have provided you with several platforms to begin your journey with, you can make your choice accordingly.
WordPress is an extremely popular and in-demand option to build a website from scratch, so our recommendation is WordPress too.
Here are some guidelines to get you started on WordPress.
Go to your hosting provider and it takes a couple of minutes to set up your website on WordPress.
You can also perform these steps. Take a look:
- Go to your web hosting provider and tap on the My Sites tab located on the left side of the navigation menu.
- Click on Create Site and insert the Admin Information for the site. After filling in the details, WordPress begins to install.
- Go to the My Sites tab on the navigation menu and find the domain and press Log into WordPress.
Congratulations! You are now live. You will see that the website shows a basic theme. Don’t worry. This is where you start to customize your website according to your wish.
There are ample themes that help to make your website look presentable. There is a massive list of themes that are free of cost and some are payable.
Additionally, you can change the theme anytime you want in the future. Just follow these steps:
- Head towards your WordPress dashboard. Click on Appearance, then Themes. Now, hit Add New Theme.
- Select any theme that you want to apply to your website from the list.
Choose as per your needs.
Now, we are presenting a few steps to get your website going. The guide includes the following pointers:
- Customization of the website
- Creation of Homepage
Let’s dive in!
Customization of the website
After you are done with the installation of your desired theme, go to the customization option and start designing your website!
Click on the Customize button on the theme that you select. You have abundant options here to change the color, header images, menu options, font size, and much more.
Once you tap on the Customization option, there are several options on the left sidebar.
Site Identity: You can change the title of your website as well as the subheading or tagline. Additionally, you can also add the logo or icon of your site.
Menus: This is an important aspect of building your website. Menus are important to create navigation in your site. With the help of these menus, the user can navigate to different pages.
Widgets: there are several options that you can locate on your website. For instance, search bar, archives, calendars, and much more. There are plenty of options in widgets to make your website more user-friendly.
Homepage settings: Through this option, you can set your website as static or dynamic, whatever you want.
Additional CSS: You can add CSS code here for further customization.
General options: This section helps you to customize a lot of aspects of your website. For instance, header size, titles, icons, layouts, etc.
Typography: Here, you can make any changes related to the font. You can change the type, color, style, etc.
Header: This area is important to build a header for the purpose of navigation in your website.
Hence, you will get ample options from which you can amplify the look as well as features of the website.
After you have successfully customized the website, it’s time that you publish the website.
There is a lot more to explore and understand in the world of WordPress. Keep digging in!
As you can analyze, it takes a lot of time and effort to create a website. But with the help of the mentioned sources, you can save both your time and effort.
In a nutshell, here are the major steps in short:
- Select the web platform.
- Choose an appropriate domain name and web hosting provider.
- Install WordPress or any other platform that you opt for.
- Customize your website.
We hope that this article helps to ease down your work and help you in the best way possible.
Keep learning, keep exploring!