List of content you will read in this article:
- 1. What is a Minecraft Server?
- 2. How to add more RAM to the Minecraft server?
- 3. How to add more RAM to the Minecraft server by Default Launcher
- 4. Conclusion
The Minecraft game is widely popular amongst gaming enthusiasts. You can play it on several platforms, for instance, Windows, Android, iOS, or Mac.
When we talk about RAM, by default the game consumes only 1 GB of RAM. In case you require more RAM, you have the liberty to do that.
We are here to make you well acquainted with the process to allocate more RAM to your Minecraft server.
But before we begin, here is a quick definition of a Minecraft server!
What is a Minecraft Server?
If you wish to play a multiplayer game in Minecraft, you need a Minecraft server. You can easily build a connection with other players through LAN or online.
The server is managed and taken care of by administrators or operators. To host a server, you require several tools and resources. For instance, LAN, rented servers, dedicated servers, realms, etc.
Furthermore, the question is how to add RAM in the Minecraft servers. Let’s see!
How to add more RAM to the Minecraft server?
If you are looking forward to escalating the performance of your server and hence your gaming experience, you can add more RAM to the server. You have to make sure that your device has extra memory for this process to accomplish. To find how much RAM does a Minecraft server need, check this blog.
Here is the process in a step-by-step fashion:
- The first step is to avail access to the Minecraft directory on your respective device. The directory contains a file titled, ‘Minecraft_server.exe’.
- Go to Home and choose the option, New Item. Further, you need to select the Text document in order to create a Text document in the directory itself.
- Now, go to a new text document and type the following text: java -Xmx####M -Xms####M-exe Minecraft_Server.exe -o true PAUSE.
- You have to now replace the ‘####’, with whatever amount of RAM you want to add in MBs
- Now, go to File and click Save As. Set the type to All files. Change the extension to .bat
- This document is all set to become the new launcher for you. Double click on this file to start the launcher.
The next segment talks about the process to add additional RAM to the Minecraft server with the help of a default launcher.
How to add more RAM to the Minecraft server by Default Launcher
To begin with, you must have the right version of Java on your device. Without it, your task won’t be accomplished.
The first step is to download the Java 8 64 bit version. Now, follow these steps to reach our desired goal:
- Go to Minecraft and then to your installation tab
- The next step is to choose your version and click on the 3 dots. Press Edit. After that, select More Options.
- Now, head towards JVM ARGUMENTS. Look out for an option like this: -Xmx2G-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions”
- As you can see, the initial term is Xmx2G - the 2, represents 2GB of RAM here
- You can change this number as per your wish. Be careful about the compatibility of your hardware with the amount that you enter
Well. That’s it! These simple steps lead you to attain more RAM for your Minecraft server in no time.
In a nutshell, this article helps you to allocate additional RAM to your Minecraft server.
We hope that the details and information provided in this tutorial gives you a hand in solving your ambiguities related to the topic.
Keep exploring. Keep practicing.