List of content you will read in this article:
Whenever you create a website, you need to store and maintain some files related to that website. You need an FTP client that will help you to manage your files. FTP is a file transfer protocol that allows you to connect your local files to an online server. If you create a website, you can transfer all your website-related files to a server using FTP and then launch the website to be accessible. In short, it allows you to organize your files, make necessary changes, and debug the situation for possible errors.
You can find a wide range of FTP clients available in the market, but the important thing is to understand which FTP client will work better for your OS and provide an intuitive interface for efficiently sorting the files and folders.
In this article, we will be focusing on various FTP clients that you can prefer for your business. It would be best if you chose the right FTP client that will meet all your business requirements.
Features to consider while choosing the FTP Clients
However, all the FTP clients will work similarly, but they might possess some different features that will create a base for you to differentiate among a wide range of FTP clients. So you must look for the right features and understand your business requirement to choose the right FTP client. But while selecting the FTP client, you must look for the below-mentioned common features that the FTP client must offer.
- Ensure that the chosen FTP client will be compatible with all operating systems such as Windows, Mac, or Linux.
- Also, check which versions of the OS support the FTP client. Some FTP shows better OS support as compared to other available options.
- Ensure the FTP client comes with unique features like drag and drop for transferring the file from the local system to the remoter server and vice versa.
- It also comes with the bookmarking and search tool that will help locate the files from a pool of thousands of files.
- Look for the FTP client that allows you to connect any servers such as the online servers, third-party storage, etc.
- Ensure the FTP client comes with the support for the protocols such as FTP, SSL, and SSH.
- It must ensure faster transfer of the files from one server to another.
- It should come with the side by side comparison window to easily compare the available files on both sides.
- It makes sure that the user can transfer large files.
- It must make sure the secure transfer of the file between the servers.
Best FTP clients in the market
We have summed up some of the most commonly used FTP clients in the market. We will be discussing in-depth features of each FTP client to differentiate among them and choose one that will be suitable as per the business requirement. Let’s take a look at various FTP client options available.
1. FileZilla (Windows, Mac, and Linux)
It is the most commonly used FTP client that is easy to set up and is available freely. However, it comes with an outdated interface that allows the user to store their website files. Most commonly, it is used on Windows OS but can be used with Mac and Linux systems. Also, it can be supported by older versions of Windows like Windows 7.
Its interface offers you the main window, site manager, and filename filter area. It allows you to look for specific file elements and configure the required settings. Majorly the work is done on the main window that is split into two parts where the right pane shows the local files, and the right pane shows the remote server files.
To connect to a remote server via FileZilla, you need to provide the login credentials that will allow you to perform actions like copy, edit, delete, or updates files on the remote server.
Key features -
- This FTP client is available as free and open-source software.
- It is supported by Windows, Mac, and Linux OS.
- It has a vast and active community that is consistently contributing to improving its functionalities.
- It has well-written documentation that is useful for users using the FileZilla for the first time.
- It comes with the support for various protocols such as FTP, SSH, and SSL.
- This FTP client is available in various languages, making it useful for users across the globe.
- It has a bookmarking facility, allowing users to save their spots and remember where they have stored the files.
- It allows you to transfer large files seamlessly without breaking the software.
2. Cyberduck (Windows and Mac)
This FTP client comes with support for Windows and Mac but is not supported by Linux. It is a simple tool that will help the users efficiently transferring the files from the local system to the remote server. This tool is available for free to download. However the tool is available for free, but if you want to get rid of the dalmatian prompts and get the registration key, you can pay more than $10 to the developers.
It has a fantastic interface that is much more updated than that of the FileZilla. Not only this, but this tool will also allow you to link your website to external storage locations such as google drive and others. One of the unique features of Cyberduck is the “cryptomator”, allowing the tool to add extra security while transferring the files. Apart from this, it will enable the users to connect to the cloud and share the required files using the fast web URL.
- It is an open-source tool available for Windows and Mac OS.
- It comes with the support for protocols like FTP and SSH.
- It allows you to make transfers to third-parties cloud storage like Google Drive, DropBox, etc.
- Ensures solid security using features like cryptomator.
- It does not require you to create an account to use this FTP client.
- You can use an external file editor to make the required changes to the files.
- You can share the files using the URL generator.
- It also offers the bookmarking facility to keep track of the transferred files.
- It comes with the drag and drops functionality for easy transferring the files.
- It also provides the quick look feature for managing the large folder structure.
3. ForkLift (Mac)
This FTP client is only available for Mac systems. You can take leverage of its dual-pane that will allow the user to compare the file locations and move the files back and forth. You can make remote connections with Amazon S3 and Google Drive like cloud-based storage. You can even make connections to multiple servers at the same time. Apart from this, it allows you to create numerous transfers simultaneously yet efficiently.
You can use this tool as a free trial, but you need to pay for leveraging its features at $29.95 for a single license. You can also avail of its family license at $49.95 that can be only used on three systems. If you are a small business and require a license for up to five services, you need to pay $99.95. If you are a student or teacher, you can avail more of its features and educational offers for payment.
It comes with an interactive interface with a drag and drop facility that will link the local remote servers with the local server.
- However, you cannot avail of this FTP client for free, but you can leverage its affordable prices, especially for teachers and students.
- It has a dual-pane facility that allows the users to use the drag and drop facility to transfer files from one pane to another. One pane reflects the local system, and the other is the remote server.
- You can easily make transfers using DropBox, Google Drive seamlessly with a single click.
- It comes with the support for protocols such as FTP and SFTP.
- It allows you to make changes to the file externally and then sync them with this tool.
- It allows you to rename multiple files at the same time with its multi-rename tool.
- You can even safeguard your eyes with its “dark mode”.
4. Transmit (Mac)
Apart from the ForkLift FTP client, you can use this fantastic tool only on Mac systems. It comes with unique features making it stand out as compared to other alternatives. It offers an amazing interface that helps users manage their files and link them to third-parties storage systems. It is an all-rounder tool allowing the users to upload, manage, and download files from a single interface.
Unlike ForkLift, Transmit comes with a free trial for testing purposes. But, for extended use, you need to pay $45, which is the cost for a single license, but if you buy more licenses, you will get a discount price. Suppose you want to buy 10 copies of Transmit; you will get each copy at $43.
One of the vital features of using Transmit is that it allows fast speed for transferring the data compared to other alternatives.
- You can leverage this FTP client at a reasonable price and get a discount if you buy more copies.
- It comes with an amazing interface that can be easily blended with Mac systems.
- It comes with a drag and drop facility for making the transfer seamless.
- It allows the users to manage files on multiple servers simultaneously.
- It ensures faster file transfer along with smart searching in complex folders.
- You can even see the file-related details in the available sidebar.
- You can do file edits within batches.
5. WinSCP (Windows)
This FTP client will only work on a Windows system that helps the users connect to the remote server from your local system and vice versa. It is one of the widely used FTP clients with more than 124 million downloads. It has a unique interface providing a dual-pane that differentiates the local system and the remote system files. You can even use the drag and drop facility for transferring the files efficiently.
With this FTP client, you can easily customize the main page by opening multiple tabs simultaneously. Working on multiple sessions ensures faster work is done and makes multiple file transfers of any size.
Not only this, this tool will allow the users to sort the file-related details. This tool is available for free and can be downloaded on the Windows system easily.
- This FTP client comes with detailed and easy documentation that is much better than any other FTP alternative.
- It offers a graphical interface that makes every work easier and understandable.
- It is available in various languages for being used across the globe.
- The file transfers are encrypted to ensure security.
- You can automate various tasks by creating rules.
- This tool also allows the users to make the required changes to the interface as per their requirements and ease of working.
FTP stands for file transfer protocol that allows the user to log in to the tool to transfer the file from the local system to the remote server. You can find various FTP client tools that are available and help you to sort things out seamlessly. Different tools might offer similar functionality but may differ from each other on some basis.
In this article, we have mentioned some of the commonly used FTP clients and the detailed features that will allow you to choose one of them for your business requirement.