SEO trends in 2019
- by Susith Nonis
- in SEO
- View 1368
Search engine optimization (SEO) goes a long way to getting ranked top on search engines. Google holds over 90% of desktop searching market and to perform well in the organic search results, we need to know what factors are taken into consideration. We cannot say exactly the factors used for the algorithm for 2019 because officially google has not published those details. However, they have confirmed that they use about 200 ranking signals when determining organic search page rankings.
Every year google focus on new ranking factors and in 2019 their main focus tends to go towards mobile usage and the page speed. Here are the main aspects that will affect the rankings for 2019.
In 2018 the worldwide online traffic generated by mobile phones was more than 52.2% according to Statista reports. Due to the current path of mobile usage in 2019, Google began using mobile-first indexing. This means that Google will rank the website depending on how it’s being viewed from mobile devices. The recommended format by Google is a responsive website even though they have stated they don’t favor any specific way of the mobile website (responsive, dynamic or separate URLs). Fixing everything can be done on any CMS (Content Management System) by using a responsive template. It’s not a low effort change, but a definite high result. Wanna know if your website is mobile friendly? Click here.
In order to deliver the best user experience, Google has taken the speed of the webpage as a ranking factor.
- There are many ways to make the website faster but the biggest factor to cause slow page speeds is the usage of uncompressed images.
- To compress your images click here. Another way to increase the speed is by removing the unnecessary plugins and extensions installed in the website.
- Having lots of complex and heavy types of media on the website is also a reason for the speed.
Pages which load in less than three seconds are considered as fast for the visitors which lead to the overall better experience.
High quality content
The reason why users visit any website is for the content published. The SEO ranking matters the most on the quality content. When making the content bare in mind to make the content helpful and interesting so that the users will increase the time spent on the page. Keep in mind to have better content in order to have a lower bounce rate. Also 2019 focus’ more on in-depth content where the quality and depth of the content is taken into consideration. While providing long-form quality content with easy to understand structure like points, lists, images keeps the readers engaged and boost up the ranking.
Voice research and keywords
Smartphones getting more and more smarter the use of voice searches has been added to the SEO ranking system in Google. When considering keywords, it is also better to include long-tail keywords which have a better click-through rate than short ones. Voice searches are also more likely to be a question phrase something like this. “What is the closest hospital near me?” as opposed to “hospital near me.” The keywords should relate to the description written and something the users will use to search for the relevant information.
Better user experience
Google considers the user experience as one of the main factors in the ranking algorithm. Keeping the website attractive, updated and optimized makes all the difference. Having an easy and simple layout for the users to have a better website navigation also increases the user experience. By having clear strings of text at the end of each subdirectories of your website makes it easier for google to locate your web pages. Having snippets installed lowers your bounce rate and increases the click-through rate because it gives users a preview of your content before they decide to enter the website.
Optimized websites make the content to be found easier and faster by Google.
- On your website the most important structure is the navigation bar as it is the first thing linking to your other pages. This is usually located on the top of the website giving those links most of the weight.
- The images on your website cannot be read by google algorithms as it does for the text of the website. Therefore, it is recommended to write everything relating to the image in the alt text.
- Track your ranking and traffic as it is the most important tool in order to spot the issues with your website.
- Having a custom made 404 page with a call to action placed in the page itself will save you from loosing potential clients from leaving your website.
- Keeping the meta data updated makes it easier for the users to have an idea what your website has to offer. The brief descriptions shown underneath each blue links in Google summarizes the content inside.
- Regularly posting blogs on your website shows Goggle that your website is active and this increases the trust of the website. With this technique its also a great way of earning new backlinks as people tend to share the blogs rather than your service pages.
All the hyperlinks that direct back to your page from all over the internet is known as inbound links also known as “backlinks” (mentioned earlier). It will affect the ranking of the website to have as much backlinks as possible. Social media profiles can be the main way of getting initial backlinks to the website and having inbound links from external sources proves Google that people trust the content of the website.
In order to get to the top is not an easy task but its not impossible either. With hard work and following these steps it’s possible to show your presence. By having a more comprehensive and sophisticated SEO strategy, the better SEO in 2019. This year there are some new factors taken into consideration, but SEO should focus on quality over short-term gains in order to be on the top of the SERP’s.